Friday, January 21, 2011

Babies, babies, everywhere!

Three births at work this week, and I don't work anywhere near the OB floor. They all happened to be co-workers. Fantastic. (They were all beautiful and I cooed over each one of them). I love babies, but this is overkill. Pregnant sister then post 4th pregnancy belly pictures on FB. I am surrounded. And I sit hear crocheting a baby blanket. Not for us of course.
Lately we have been toying with the idea of pursuing a second option for hubby and a possible mTESE. Hard to give up on the biological component. So expensive, and who know if it would yield anything. Maybe I should start playing the lottery? Fundraising? Bake sale? What if I donated my eggs while waiting? (Oh, don't think I haven't thought about it...) Why do we all have to pay so much for our children?

4 comments:

Lulu said...

I'd love to be an egg donor. I've actually thought about writing about that on my blog. I wouldn't even let them pay me. But I somehow doubt anyone wants my crap eggs.

Rebekah said...

If you could be an egg donor - why not? Especially if it would help you afford treatments.
We thought about the mTESE, DH is completely against it. Our odds were not good...and its EXPENSIVE - plus ICSI...And then our odds... Whew.

Marissa said...

I thought about being a donor but realized I'd be too jealous. Maybe after I get a baby...but by then I'll probably be too old.

If you don't have the irrational jealousy (it's really totally crazy to be jealous of some hypothetical couple raising a kid that came from 23 of my chromosomes plus all theirs, their gestation, their hard work, etc etc), then I say go for it! Help someone in need.

Michelle said...

The cost is just so so much. It's so terribly unfair that these costs dictate if we can even try and have a child.
My DH has non-obstructive azoo and had the mTese last March. Because we couldn't afford the surgery (5k) and IVF, we chose to freeze whatever tissue they found. The did keep 1 tissue sample out and do a test freeze & thaw. That one sample yielded only 1 barely moving sperm. The nurse said it didn't look good for the rest. Fast forward to Dec... we finally got to the IVF retrieval and DH was scheduled for another mTese. They thawed the remaining tissue and found many many sperm, (they said they stopped counting at 30). We never expected it. I didn't go into that ER thinking my eggs would get fertilized with my husbands sperm..and they did! And they did beautifully in the lab too! I didn't get pregnant, but I'm hoping this time (FET) I will.
If you can, and your husband is game, I'd do the mTese. It felt good to know we explored every biological option we could.
Best of luck! From one azoo girl to another, email me anytime!

Post a Comment