Sunday, January 9, 2011

Where do the hubbies go when they feel afraid?

My husband has been strong and optimistic during this whole adventure. Granted his azoo diagnosis mixed with a little PCOS means for a long journey. And as AF usually does, I got super emotional. After a couple tasty beverages my mouth opened and everything I had refused to bring up about donor sperm, donor eggs, IVF abroad, the fact that my eggs are probably good, Zlin children, ect... And the fact that I watch what I say around him because I don't want to hurt him. It's not a secret we are in this bumpy journey because of his lack of swimmers.
After the conversation was done several phrases stuck in my head. My husband said he has no one to talk to about all of this. That he cannot get over his irrational thoughts about donor sperm, but who ever would he discuss this with? That he's tired of gynecologists and RE's. They cater to the female crowd. It's not like he knows someone else with his diagnosis. He even mentioned several books (like Helping the Stork), but I know they are from a female perspective. He did however make an appointment with a male counselor that works with MFI. Hopefully he can find some solace in his words...
I am so thankful for this huge community of women. I don't know where I'd be without ya'll. Puts in to perspective where my hubby must be... and I just sit and cry.

2 comments:

Lulu said...

: ( poor hubbies. I'm sure he has a lot to work through. I hope the counselor is good for him.

Rebekah said...

That's good he's going to talk to a counselor. I've heard that couples HAVE to go through genetic counseling if they do ds through most clinics (we didn't because all we have is my obgyn here!) I've thought that would be helpful to get questions answered by a "pro" who is familiar with all the questions we'd come up with.
It sounds like your DH is doing well recognizing that he needs to talk - My DH is not there yet.

Post a Comment