Thursday, December 9, 2010

Almond Joy's got nuts...Mounds don't.

I love my mother-in-law. The last week with her was so refreshing. Of course I couldn't avoid chatting with her about her son's upcoming appointment to have his 36-year-old undescended testicle removed. A conversation I was trying to avoid, but one she needed to be a part of.
After I confirmed that his SA results were zero she grabbed my hand and said 'her and Daddy were with us 100% of the way, in whatever we decided to do.' And then, in a way only her family can joke she said DH must be her little Mounds.... Only a joke his mother could make without it causing any pain.
So, the surgery is set for the 17th of this month. I love being a nurse, but I'm not sure how my hubby is going to like it...
And hubby was told by his urologist that 'theoretically there is the possibility that once the "bad" testicle is removed, the other one might start behaving....' I cannot help but think that this is such a far-fetched theory. I think my DH is 'living-on-a-prayer' that things are going to magically change. I cannot help but be pessimistic about it. I think IF does that to us. (That and the fact that there are no case studies or evidence to suggest that to could happen.) But I believe in miracles for my patients, why can't I believe in them for myself...

1 comments:

Rebekah said...

My DH still seems to hope for some kind of magical change - like saying we should just try naturally (all of his s/a have come back with zero)... And I feel like a negative nelly pointing out that it will not work. I'm not sure if its a guy thing to hope for the impossible. I'm trying to work on hoping for the possible - and getting DH to focus on that too... Not an easy task. He still wants what we can't have.

That's awesome you have such great support from family. Good luck to your DH on the surgery :)

Post a Comment